Yuu Kannagi (Yu Kannagi, in Japanese version) is the canonical Protagonist in God Eater, Burst and God Eater Resurrection. He is the main protagonist in God Eater 2: Undercover and God Eater: Knockin' on Heaven's Door, while he is a deuteragonist in several media adaptions, and a minor character in God Eater: -the 2nd break-.
In the media-based universe, Yuu is canonically the first game's protagonist (except in Resurrection's western version, anime adaptation and The Spiral Fate). He becomes part of Cradle during the 3 year interval of God Eater Burst and God Eater 2 and is currently on the frontlines with Lindow Amamiya on a mission.
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
The Summer Wars
Alisa and Yuu are dispatched to Aegis Island on a protection mission to discover the reason for the oracle increase in the area along with Kanon and Gina (who gets sent home early).
The Romance between Alisa and Yuu is evident in this manga series.
The 2nd Break
Yuu is currently on a mission on the frontlines with Lindow; Alisa states many times her disappointment that he will be gone a while and often longs to see him again.
Yuu doesn't have an actual personality and emotions due to being a player-insert character. Evident in Pachi-Slot God Eater.
In light novel/manga adaptations, Yuu is portrayed as a copy of Ryo Kagami.
Yuu is a teenage boy with a light brown short hair (blonde in The Summer Wars) and cobalt eyes. He wears a blue Fenrir formal uniform with a white shirt under the jacket, a black glove in his left hand, black pants with two pockets, and short dark gray boots.
In the first and second chapters of God Eater: The Summer Wars, Yuu is shirtless and only wearing a white swimming trunks. In the 3rd chapter, he is seen wearing a hooded jacket.
- Kota Fujiki - His close friend and team member. The two were classmates from the beginning and developed a quick friendship even if Kota's actions almost managed to kill him quite a few times.
- Soma Schicksal - While he proves to be gruff towards Yuu at first, he does gain a respect for Yuu as he prove his worth as leader. Eventually, they end up on good terms, and he thanks Yuu in his final mail to him for the chance to repay Lindow.
- Lindow Amamiya - Lindow was the leader of the first unit until he went missing during the Moon in the Welkin mission. Shortly after his disappearance Yuu takes on his role leader. After he returns back to the Den, he hands over his position as leader over to Yuu. Yuu sees Lindow as a dependable guy.
- Alisa Illinichina Amiella - Alisa values Yuu's life highly after he helped her recover from the incident that led to Lindow's supposed death. Alisa admires Yuu as a leader and has strong romantic feelings for him, and he seems to reciprocate them to some degree, which is shown during The Summer wars. Yuu was also the person who gave Alisa her hat in God Eater 2.
- Sakuya Tachibana - Sakuya is the sub-leader of the 1st unit and a dependable senior member. Before heading for Aegis island she informs Yuu (should you choose to visit her room shortly after they discover what Lindows mission was). It can be assumed that they are, at least, on friendly terms. After Lindow was returned to duty by Yuu's actions, she thanks Yuu wholeheartedly, owing a depth of gratitude towards him.
- Shio - Yuu saw Shio as a close friend during his interactions with her in-game.
- Licca Kusunoki - Due to him saving her from death by a Vajratail in-game, It is assumed that the two are close friends as well.
- Ren - He approached Yuu after he touched Lindow's old God Arc, with the desire to tell Yuu that he must be the one to kill Lindow. Ultimately, the plan was a cover for his real intention -- for Yuu to save his partner and return him to the Far East Branch. He then helps Yuu fight his way towards Lindow's sub-consciousness, asking him to give Lindow the will to fight again as they arrive. In the end, he sacrificed himself for them just so Lindow can return back safely. He thanks Yuu and Lindow before disappearing, content that his partner can see another day.
- Yuu Kannagi is the default name for the Protagonist in the NORN Database in God Eater 2 if Burst save data is not imported, which in certain continuity officially makes this an acknowledged protagonist name in the God Eater series.
- In God Eater: Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Yuu's name in English is written as "you".
- Yuu's character design is based off the artwork of the male Protagonist (God Eater).
- In Japanese, Yuu means "gentleness or superiority".
- His Japanese default voice in God Eater Burst and God Eater Resurrection is Takeshi Mori. In Pachi-Slot God Eater however, his official Japanese voice actor is Shunzou Miyasaka, who is also Hiro Kamui's default voice.